With many on-line communities participants are pegged as avoiding real social contact with people as they engage in exchanges within their on-line community. In some cases the exchanges they have on the website on-line creates new or different ways to be social and allow for new opportunites to "reach out to people" when in person contact is not possible, or creates new levels of interaction with people who may or may not be involved with the on-line community.
I took this picture this morning. It's of me and my sons having a fantasy football draft. My 7 year-old son Vincent has witnessed my interest and involvment with both fantasy football and baseball and has increasingly wanted to be involved in what I'm doing and so he wants to "play" at what I do on-line and he has very a very specific way of how he wants to do it that doesn't really have anything to do with what happens in reality. He made up these rules about a draft that uses his football cards along some rules he made up,(none of this takes place on line) and he's very excited when I agree to go along with it. The 4 yr-old doesn't understand but just doesn't want to be left out and occasionally his friend Angelo, son of the League Manager of baseball plays with us (but of course the rules are different when he plays). Everybody has their own idea about what a football draft should be like. So in this case, my on-line world has sort of expanded the opportunites I have in my off-line world to make a connection with my sons and their friends. This year Angelo will be taking over his father's football team so Angelo and I talk a lot about that now and Vincent can't wait until he gets to be 9, and could take over my team.
So there is definitely a family componenet in our league to examine as well.
Sunday, June 30, 2013
The Effects of the on-line Fantasy Life on on my off-line Life
With many on-line communities participants are pegged as avoiding real social contact with people as they engage in exchanges within their on-line community. In some cases the exchanges they have on the website on-line creates new or different ways to be social and allow for new opportunites to "reach out to people" when in person contact is not possible, or creates new levels of interaction with people who may or may not be involved with the on-line community.
I took this picture this morning. It's of me and my sons having a fantasy football draft. My 7 year-old son Vincent has witnessed my interest and involvment with both fantasy football and baseball and has increasingly wanted to be involved in what I'm doing and so he wants to "play" at what I do on-line and he has very a very specific way of how he wants to do it that doesn't really have anything to do with what happens in reality. He made up these rules about a draft that uses his football cards along some rules he made up,(none of this takes place on line) and he's very excited when I agree to go along with it. The 4 yr-old doesn't understand but just doesn't want to be left out and occasionally his friend Angelo, son of the League Manager of baseball plays with us (but of course the rules are different when he plays). Everybody has their own idea about what a football draft should be like. So in this case, my on-line world has sort of expanded the opportunites I have in my off-line world to make a connection with my sons and their friends. This year Angelo will be taking over his father's football team so Angelo and I talk a lot about that now and Vincent can't wait until he gets to be 9, and could take over my team.
So there is definitely a family componenet in our league to examine as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment