Monday, June 3, 2013

Gender and Hierarchy in Fantasy Football

Being the only female as a part of an all-male fantasy baseball league has it's disadvantages. Even if I display a superior understanding of the sport there are always the men who are either trying to take advantage of me, because they're sure I don't know as much as I think, or trying to "protect" me. So in terms of writing from the female point of view I could look at the gender-related dynamics that go on for both baseball and football. The men have more power. That's it. No two ways about it. The only exception might be if the female wins the whole thing. This happened two years ago with football and I have to say there was a great deal of respect for the woman who won. At the time she also happened to be battling cancer and undergoing chemo, so how that factored into this respect and regard towards her is hard to say. Being League Manager gives a woman some power too, but not as much as winning. One of the shots I always get, even as league manager, is that my husband runs my league. That's a low blow, and meant to hit where it hurts. Some things I might want to look at is why do men have the power in the fantasy leagues? Who gave them the power? Can that power be taken away? What is the hierachy in the league? It seems like the hierachy is based on popularity, partially affected by the team member's abilities on the message board. There are four women in the football league and I notice that when people talk about them and/or go after them it gets sexual. Not usually at first, but it usually sort of distintegrates into that boy who likes the girl and pulls her ponytail routine or into sexual inuendo or straight up sex talk. It wouldn't be like this (obviously) if it were all men. So I need to look at how the dynamics change in the league because of the presence of women. Are they viewed as sexual objects that are part of the "play" of fantasy baseball. I notice being the ONLY woman in the baseball league, no sexual inuendo is directed at me, but it certainly is in the football league. Is that because there are 4 women? Because I'm the only one, would it be worse the portray me as a sexual object in the baseball league? Would it be like they were ganging up on me. I wonder how others feel about this hierachy and I think I'm going to add some questions to my list about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment