Friday, August 2, 2013

Football Season is Almost Here!!!

Football season is almost here, and it's obvious that fantasy is a big part of that, as you can see from the pictures I took at Barnes and Nobel the other day. Whole sections of magazine racks are dedicated to fantasy football. Yesterday they did a segment on fantasy football on the Denise and Judy Show on 101.5. It was a pretty funny segment and I taped it. The basic premise was Fantasy Football: Stupid things over weight white people do. Apparently the have a league at the station and they were having their draft. Denise and Judy were laughing at them, calling them geeks and trying to get some caller feedback on why fantasy football has pervaded our culture in such a major way. There were people who called in who, I think, really convinced Denise (not Judy) that fantasy is more than "dungeons and dragons for sports geeks" which is something I hear again and again. One person, who was not white, called in to say it's not just for fat white men. Women called in, but the one I heard just made a joke about the Jets. Another person called in to say that involvement with fantasy expanded involvement with sports overall. For instance, he is a Cowboys fan, but because he had players on his team from the Giants, he might turn on the Giants game, and spend more time watching other games. He also said it increased his chances of spending time with his friends, because they would be more likely to get together and watch the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment